Total Pageviews

Wednesday 24 July 2013

Zero Tolerance

Zero Tolerance

"Get rid of all bitterness, rage, anger, harsh words, and slander as well as all types of evil behaviour.  Instead be kind to each other, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God through Christ has forgiven you." (Ecclesiates 1:9)


My patience has been tested through the toughest times in my almost three years in this country. Traffic issues, relationships among co-workers, students, new friends, strangers in the malls, supermarket attendants, restaurant waiters, bartenders, and so on.  At first, I always wanted to wrestle as if I could win over every battle, until one day my energy ran-down. What was that supposed to mean? No, it wasn't being left pathetic and helpless. Sometimes, calling for a ceasefire doesn't mean losing the fight. I couldn't recall how many times I had been through struggles and how hard it was to face them on my own.  

Before I start the real story, let me tell you one thing, I got "Zero Tolerance" on hypocrites, users, selfish and insensitive people. 

She  was raised by a very conservative family in a small town at the central part of the Philippines.  Her childhood days weren't as fun as she thought compared to other kids in her neighborhood. As young as five, she already learned how to play with the dirty kitchen.  After a year gambling with the firewood, she found herself sitting in a classroom of first graders without any idea what a "pencil" was. Her mom was so worried she couldn't make it, but after ten months she was the second best student in class. I couldn't imagine how happy and surprised her mom was when she received the invitation.  

"Child, always remember to respect others regardless of age, status, gender and race." She was so innocent and fragile to understand why her Dad on the other hand, reminded her never to cheat, nor use others for selfish benefits.  

When she became a teacher, it dawned on her that her parents especially  her humble mom raised her well. All she could hold on to fight was a river of tears to assuage her anger, disappointments, and frustrations. Years had gone so fast, until one day she decided to work overseas. In the first few months, things went well not expecting a colleague to betray her. The incident was like a sirocco blinding and following up to her dreams. And it came the new phase of life-this adventure was more rugged that it almost tear her down leaving her short of breath.  But this pilgrimage made her more fierce than a whirlwind. Yes, she still cries, a bit delicate and naive at times but shines like the gleam of dawn.  "I will never allow anyone to hurt nor use me, not once again."  Surely, God gave her a forgiving heart to be more humble and patient.  It's a part of her walk with Him...and it wouldn't be that easy BUT I'm sure she will make it to the finish line-victorious! 


No comments:

Post a Comment